Monday, January 3, 2005

Back on the Home Front

Back in our gardens: In our gardens, I finally moved the LSU Purple Fig to its new home. The first location was an error in judgement. Being somewhat visualization challenged I tend to plant things and then move them a few times, till I get them where I want them. I also moved a couple of hundred (or more) Tazetta Narcissus, and other assorted related bulbs to their new naturalization spot. The Tazetta naturalize readily here. Most others are spotty, but some occasionally do well.


Saturday: Today, I laid out a new plan for the Orchard based on the two remaining plants that survived in the original area, one Peach and one Plum. I lost a Peach and a Nectarine to who knows what. Two apples and a Mulberry were outside of this area and will be moved. The surviving Plum is a Santa Rosa Plum or Ciruela de Santa Rosa (Prunus salicina 'Santa Rosa'), which came from Lowe's in the spring of 04. The new Plum is Methley Plum (Prunus salicina 'Methley') which originated from Bracy's Nursery, but was picked up on sale at a local nursery. I fixed up the remaining peach with a new partner La Festival Peach (Prunus persica 'La Festival') which also originated from Bracy's Nursery, but was picked up on sale at a local nursery.

Sunday: A tough day in the garden today. I am worn out Today, I started out by digging up the Apple I had planted late last spring in the back yard, to move it to the orchard at New Dawn. I also dug up a hundred or more of the hardy glads, Gladiolus byzantinus , for naturalization at New Dawn. To preserve them as much as possible, and maybe this years blooms, I dug up large clumps of earth along with them. This had the added benefit of bringing the Saint Augustine grass growing in clumps. I also dug up a clump of Snowdrops, and another of Naked Ladies, aka Lycoris radiata - Red Spider Lily, Red Hurricane Lily. After starting the morning by digging a few hundred pounds of dirt, twice, one to dig them up and a second time to dig the hole in which to place them. But my digging was not over for the day. From this chore came the finishing up of the orchard. Two trees remained to planted and 3 trees to be moved. Oh, and the apple from the backyard needed to be planted. And stakes drive and trees tied. I used most of the dirt that came from digging the whole for the glads. This was a 300 foot trek with the wheelbarrow, four times. So, the apple (Anna) from the old backyard was planted, two apples Malus pumila 'Ein Shemer' procured from Lowes and Golden Delicious Malus pumila 'Gilbert' acquired from Starks, and the Mulberry was moved. These are low chilling hour Apples supposedly good in Zone 9. Yes, I am a crazy cajun trying to grow apples. Hey, what is the fun in being common. The Mulberry was given two me as a rooted cutting from my neighbors tree in late 2003. It was planted in spring 04 and reached 3 feet tall last year, its first year in the ground. I used to laugh at Mr. Picard with his cut-off milk carton at his waist hanging from a strap around his neck as he climbed the Mulberry Tree to harvest fruit. The momma of my tree was a good 30 feet tall and 20 feet in girth. It has a good pedigree. And the two new trees, a Keiffer Pear (Pyrus communis 'Kieffer') and an Ayers Pear (Pyrus communis 'Ayers'), were planted. And the stakes were driven, and all were tied off with strips cut from a bicycle inner tube. And they were watered in with a bit of root stimulator. And I am one tired puppy, but a highly satisfied tired puppy. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment